Saturday, March 27, 2010

UFC 111 Preview


Finally, Georges St-Pierre will step back into the octagon tonight! Even though it isn't exactly against a "dream" opponent I don't mind that GSP will make his return to the octagon against Dan Hardy! Georges hasn't fought since UFC 100 so if GSP should suffer from any ring rust I would rather he get it out against Hardy then someone else. Wow, I just used GSP and ring rust in the same sentence, who am I kidding? It's GSP!

Hardy wants to pull a Matt Serra and "shock the world". Good luck. It won't be a shock to anyone when GSP damn near destroys Hardy. GSP should be looking harder than ever for a finish in this fight as his last decisive stoppage was against Matt Serra basically due to knees. But I mean, that was Matt Serra.

This has been the best fight card the UFC has put on in months! Unfortunately, the card took a major blow when Thiago "Pitbull" Alves was forced to withdraw after a failed cat-scan which showed "brain irregularity". He now has to undergo surgury, so it's legit, it's not a Karo Parisian case.

However, now that Thiago is out, Ben "Killa B" Saunders is in.. greeeat. The former Ultimate Fighter 6 competitor will take on Jon Fitch. A fight that could have been unreal, has dropped it's viewer value significantly. Against Thiago, I hoped that Fitch would lose, but against Ben I hope Fitch wins, funny how that happens. Basically, I never liked "Killa B" in the first place, has anyone else noticed how utterly annoying his laugh is? Too make matters worse, Dana White claims that if Ben wins he gets the next title shot! Are you kidding me?! I though Dan Hardy was bad, but Ben Saunders? The guys biggest win is against Marcus Davis, that isn't exactly something to be proud of.

Another belt is on the line as Frank Mir and Shane Carwin will duke it out for the interim Heavy-weight belt. Carwin is undefeated and sports an impressive 11-0 record. Frank Mir.. well he's a self proclaimed "athlete" but does have a sick BJJ game. These two beasts both came in at 265 pounds, I'm sure Joe Rogan will make note that Shane Carwin will be wearing specially made 4XL size gloves, he says it everytime he fights... every frickin' time.

The night that I have been waiting for for so long has finally arrived. GSP will be back in the octagon to hopefully continue his reign of domination in the welter weight devision. I can only hope that he puts on a clinic against Hardy!

No comments:

Post a Comment